Yerevan, Armenia | AFP – Floods in northern Armenia killed at least two people as they destroyed key roads and bridges, forcing some 200 to evacuate, officials said on Sunday.

Floods caused by heavy rain in the northern Lori region have left two people dead and two more missing, the Minister of Territorial Administration and Infrastructures, Gnel Sanosyan, told journalists.

The country’s interior ministry said earlier that 232 people were evacuated from their homes.

Several bridges and parts of a strategic highway linking the mountainous Caucasus country with Georgia were destroyed after the Debed river burst its banks, the ministry said.

Armenia’s railway operator said it has cancelled trains to Georgia due to a landslide on the line.

Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan headed to the flood-affected area, where search and rescue operations and emergency recovery efforts are underway, his spokeswoman Nazeli Baghdasaryan said on social media.

Around 40,000 people are affected by flooding each year in Armenia, costing the country around $100 million in national GDP, according to the World Bank.

mkh-im/yad

© Agence France-Presse

Featured image credit: wirestock – Freepik.com

Image: Abstract globe (s. climate news, climate change, heat)
Nations to kick off world-first fossil fuel exit talksNews

Nations to kick off world-first fossil fuel exit talks

Santa Marta, Colombia | AFP | Muser NewsDesk More than 50 governments meet in Colombia on Tuesday against the backdrop of the Iran war and a…
SourceSourceApril 28, 2026 Full article
Satellite Image: Aalborg, Denmark
Image of the day: Aalborg’s balance of nature and innovationNews

Image of the day: Aalborg’s balance of nature and innovation

Aalborg, Denmark’s fourth-largest city, combines urban development with a long-standing focus on sustainability. Located along the Limfjord in northern Jutland, the city has evolved from…
Muser NewsDeskMuser NewsDeskOctober 7, 2025 Full article
Graphic news (s. climate, science, research, scientists. emission targets, floods, environment)
Power restored to almost 90% of Havana after Cuba blackoutNews

Power restored to almost 90% of Havana after Cuba blackout

Havana, Cuba (AFP) - Electricity has been restored to almost 90 percent of Havana residents four days after a nationwide blackout hit Cuba, according to…
SourceSourceOctober 21, 2024 Full article