On 9 March 2025, Guatemala’s Fuego Volcano erupted, forcing the evacuation of over 300 people and prompting an orange alert from the National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction (CONRED). The eruption, which lasted until the following day, led to school closures and the shutdown of a key road in the region.

Located 53 km from Guatemala City, Fuego is one of Central America’s most active volcanoes. At 3,763 meters high, it has a history of deadly eruptions, including one in 2018 that claimed nearly 200 lives. Experts warn that the greatest threat from Fuego is not just eruptions but lahars — fast-moving flows of ash, mud, and debris capable of burying entire communities.

Satellite Image: Eruption of the Fuego Volcano, Guatemala
Fuego Volcano, Guatemala. Credit: European Union, Copernicus Sentinel-2 imagery

This image, captured on 9 March 2025 by a Copernicus Sentinel-2 satellite, shows the thermal anomaly detected at Fuego’s summit. Sentinel-2 provides vital data on volcanic activity, helping authorities monitor eruptions and assess risks to nearby communities.

Featured image credit: European Union, Copernicus Sentinel-2 imagery

Girl Sitting on Shore
Most bathing sites in Europe safe: EU environment agencyNews

Most bathing sites in Europe safe: EU environment agency

Copenhagen, Denmark | AFP - Most of Europe's bathing sites are safe to swim in, the European Environment Agency (EEA) said on Tuesday, with around…
SourceSourceMay 28, 2024 Full article
Image: Methane plume emitting from oil and gas facility
World energy methane emissions near record high in 2024: IEANews

World energy methane emissions near record high in 2024: IEA

Paris, France | AFP Record fossil fuel production kept planet-heating methane emissions near historic highs last year, the International Energy Agency said Wednesday, warning of…
SourceSourceMay 7, 2025 Full article
Man pleads not guilty to chopping down one of UK’s most famous treesNews

Man pleads not guilty to chopping down one of UK’s most famous trees

Newcastle, United Kingdom (AFP) - A 38-year-old man on Wednesday denied criminal damage, after one of the UK's most-loved and photographed trees was found cut…
SourceSourceMay 15, 2024 Full article